- 1 Official information
- 2 Free coupon
- 3 Features of DigitalOcean
- 4 DigitalOcean’s cloud function list
- 5 Network response time of DigitalOcean’s data center
- 6 Is your provided CPU good one or bad one?
- 7 Benchmark result of DigitalOcean (Unixbench)
You can get free $100 coupon by registering from this link.
Features of DigitalOcean
DigitalOcean is one of the big VPS which is satisfying cloud hosting’s principals.
- Elasticity: You can dispose the server after creation of the server any time without losing money in vain
- Redundancy: You can keep serving the service even if 1 of the server goes down(LAN&LB are necessary)
- Extendable: You can scale up the server with data
Maximum memory and CPU is higher compared to others.
In the case of standard plan, even if you increase number of CPU core, total cpu score doesn’t increase so much compared to the increase of CPU’s cores but higher CPU plan will get relatively better score.
As advanced VPS, DigitalOcean is providing Managed database and Kubernetes(k8s) service including container registry.
In 2020, Digital Ocean got $100 million through finance and announced 3 years road map which is showing that they will provide “App Platform” which support us from development to deployment & operation with functions like serverless services.
So the field where DigitalOcean will become the same with public clouds like AWS in near future.
Features of Managed DB of DigitalOcean
– Setting and management is not necessary
– Free daily backup and recovery function is available
– Auto recovery in the case of failure
– Scale up is possible
Here is the price of managed database.
AWS has managed database but the price is much higher than DigitalOcean’s one.
Support of container service
In addition of creating instance of container, DigitalOcean is offering Managed Kubernetes(k8s) and container registry service.
Price and plan of DigitalOcean
DigitalOcean’s cloud function list
Network response time of DigitalOcean’s data center
This is example from Tokyo.
You should choose data center which is closest to your expected users.
|DC||Ping response time from Tokyo|
|New York||0.160 seconds|
|San Francisco||0.110 seconds|
Is your provided CPU good one or bad one?
There is performance difference among CPU.
You can check whether it is good one or bad one by checking CPU information.
If you get bad one, it may be better for you to destroy it and create new instance again.
When new CPU becomes available, you should consider to renew instance by taking snapshot of current instance and recreate new instance until you get best CPU.
CPU information for DigitalOcean is available at
CPU list of VPS